Membership at Alternate ROOTS is the focal point of our organization.
Alternate ROOTS is a body of diverse artists and artistic disciplines, which come together to share a common commitment to activism. Joining ROOTS is the first step into a community who is vital and engaged in the process of creating powerful and moving art, and supporting one another in this engagement.
ROOTS offers several different kinds of membership. All memberships with ROOTS entitle you to an Associate Membership with Fractured Atlas. To read more about our partnership with Fractured Atlas, click here (you have to already be a ROOTS member to access this part of our website). All ROOTS membership dues are yearly.
Introductory Membership - $20 – This is a great way to dive in and get to know the organization better.
- Introductory Membership makes you eligible for reduced rates to the Annual Meeting, as well as gives you access to all of our publications, including the monthly Member E-Newsletter, the listserv, and deeper access to the website (forums, blogs, etc.).
- Being subscribed to these publications will allow you lots of opportunity to network with others, find out about trends in the field, and learn about training/conference/performance/networking opportunities provided or promoted through ROOTS.
- Introductory Members can serve on, and even chair, Innovation Ensembles (our new language for committees or work groups).
- In fact, the only thing it won’t get you is the ability to vote at our board meetings and apply for ROOTS grants (Artistic Assistance and Community/Artist Partnership Program) or the Tour & Residency Program.
- The only hitch is that Introductory Membership can only last for your first year – you can’t renew at the introductory rate.
- After your first year, you have a choice. You can either come forward for voting or satellite membership or continue to support the organization without membership by becoming a part of the Friends, Fans, and Family Program.
Satellite Membership - $50/yr – A Satellite Membership is ideal for all those folks who are deeply committed to ROOTS, but who live outside our service region.
- In fact, all of the services and opportunities that are available for Introductory Membership are extended to our Satellite Members.
- Unfortunately, Satellite Members are not eligible to apply for ROOTS grants (C/APP, Artistic Assistance) or appear on the Tour & Residency roster.
- We do encourage people who are interested in this level of membership to apply and/or come forward at a board meeting in the same way that our voting members do.
Voting (Board) Membership - $50/yr – Voting Members are that special breed of person who has become so dedicated, they really want to take it to the next level.
- First and foremost, Voting Members live in ROOTS' service region.
- Voting Members have all of the opportunities listed above, as well as the ability to vote at our board meetings (duh!)
- Voting members have unique access to apply for ROOTS granting programs and the Tour.
- However, along with the increased privileges, Voting Members do have increased responsibility.
- Voting Members agree to fiscal responsibility and oversight of the organization, responsibility for governance issues in general, and especially they agree to stewardship and advancement of the ROOTS mission in terms of time, talent, and, yes – personal financial contribution.
- Note about process: At ROOTS, we have an important and long-held tradition that coming forward for voting membership for the first time happens publicly at our Annual Meeting & Artists Retreat. If you are not already a voting member, you must wait until the next Annual Meeting to come forward and be voted in by the rest of the body of voting members. At that time, you will be asked to speak to who you are, the work you do in the world, and how you feel your work combats oppression and/or aligns with the ROOTS mission. The rest of the voting members then vote new members in. If you are unable to attend the AM, you can ask another voting member to come forward on your behalf.
Read more here:
If you are new to ROOTS, and even if you just need to brush up on roles and responsibilities, please take this opportunity to download our Membership Guide.
list of members who have submitted information about what they do and who they are, please click here. Click on their names to go to their profile page where you can see images of their works and know more about them!