Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social, and economic justice, and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
Job Description: The Administrative Assistant position is a part-time position and the candidate selected is responsible for supporting administrative responsibilities of the Executive Director and operations team. The position is 20 hours a week with 5 hours weekly to be spent working collaboratively with staff members in digital and in person meetings. There will be opportunities for increased hours leading up to ROOTS Week, Executive Committee Meeting and staff retreats.
Responsibilities: The Administrative Assistant reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Managing Director, Programs Director and Operations Manager. The Administrative Assistant will:
- Be trained and supervised by Ashley Walden Davis, Managing Director from March – May, 2019.
- Supervised and expected to report to Michelle Ramos, Executive Director from May -December 2019.
- Attend weekly staff meeting via video conference Wednesdays 12- 2 pm EST.
- Create and send weekly staff agenda in collaboration with Executive Director and staff
- Coordinate meeting schedules and prepare agenda, memos, documents and notes for work groups including but not limited to the (Cultural Policy, UpROOTing, Sexual Harassment, and By-Laws work groups).
- Support Executive Committee meetings and preparation (gathering staff reports, e-mailing material and coordinating logistics as needed).
- Book travel as needed for staff, Executive Committee, ROOTS Week presenters and members
- Manage Doodle poll requests from work groups and staff and schedules meetings
- Manage Alternate ROOTS staff Google calendar and conference call lines
- Manage the ROOTS zoom accounts, schedule meetings and update the zoom Google calendar
- Review forwarded Managing Director emails and forwards and field requests to proper staffer
- Monitor and manage ROOTS’ GQueues project management workload/ flow and ensure it is populated and updated
- Report to Executive Director when attention is needed regarding deadlines and tasks
- Serve as ROOTS Week Registration Staff (June – August for approximately 10-15 additional hours weekly)
- Follow-Up with general members’ inquires and take membership payments
- Participate in further activities of the organization for professional development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The knowledge, skills and abilities of the Administrative Assistant includes:
People who should apply for the Admin Assistant position should:
- Have a good working understanding of Alternate ROOTS community
- Have a passion for Alternate ROOTS, art, and social justice
- Work independently without heavy supervision and be self-motivated
- Possess the ability to work from home/ remotely
- ROOTS will provide a laptop computer for employee to use for ROOTS work
- Have a strong work ethic; be collaborative, conscientious and detail-oriented
- Be honest, trustworthy, exhibit sound judgment, and abide by strict confidentiality guidelines
- Be flexible to function well in a team structure
Basic Skills Required
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Good documentation skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience with Microsoft Suite especially Word and Excel
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with emphasis on Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient in Google Suite, with emphasis on Google calendar, docs, sheets and GQueues
- ROOTS member, friend or associate
- Ability to travel 20% of the time
- Experience with GQ or other Project Management Software
- Experience with zoom video software and Salesforce
- Valid Driver’s License
Location: Alternate ROOTS has a remote office and collaborates using a series of digital tools. The Administrative Associate can work remotely anywhere in the Alternate ROOTS region.* There are ROOTS staff members in Atlanta, GA, New Orleans, LA, and Jackson, MS.
The position is a non-exempt position that will work 20 hours a week with 5 of those hours weekly dedicated remote collaboration through online platforms with team members as needed based on program activity.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a termed hourly employee position paid at a rate of $15.00 an hour. ROOTS has secured funding for the position through December 31, 2019 and may be subject to renewal pending additional funding.
There is a $100 monthly office stipend since the ROOTS staff works remotely to cover costs employee may incur working from home.
Desired Start Date
February 28 – March 10, 2019
How to Apply
Please review the Administrative Assistant Job Description and Alternate ROOTS website.
The application period is now open. Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com by February 12, 2019. Please send PDFs only.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially.
*The Alternate ROOTS 14-state region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.