Alternate ROOTS was founded in 1976 by a group of extraordinary theatre artists. Today, we are a creative network dedicated to providing programs and services for more than 500 activist artists of all disciplines. Thanks to generous continued support from the Joan Mitchell Foundation, there is an initiative within ROOTS to:
- Increase the presence and visibility of visual artists
- Generate dialogue about the visual arts for social justice perspective and process
- Create appropriate ways to exhibit the works/works in progress of visual artists at ROOTS Week
- Have a clear sense of how visual artists might connect with/find entry into the new ROOTS strategic plan
- Make visual artists feel welcome, supported and that their work for social justice is relevant to ROOTS’ mission and programs
Alternate ROOTS is pleased to extend a call for nominations of visual artists to receive scholarships to attend ROOTS Week at Lutheridge Conference Center in Arden, NC, Tuesday-Sunday, August 4-9, 2015.
There will be a pre-conference session for visual arts scholarship recipients and other visual artists in the ROOTS network on Monday-Tuesday August 3-4, 2015.
- Nominators must be Alternate ROOTS general or voting members.
- Nominees must live and practice within the ROOTS service region (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV, and Washington, DC).
- Nominees must have a strong connection/commitment to working as visual artists in community for social change and in alignment with the ROOTS mission.
- Nominees must be interested in having ROOTS members as their audience and collaborators.
- Alternate ROOTS general or voting members may nominate themselves, but preference will be given to nominees who have not attended ROOTS Week before.
- Nominees should expect to participate actively in dialogue at ROOTS Week.
- Nominees are welcome but not required to bring work to ROOTS Week.
- Nominees should also be available for a pre-conference planning and orientation retreat in Asheville during the weekend of Thursday, May 28, 2015 (evening)-Sunday, May 31, 2015 (afternoon). Travel and accommodations for the retreat will be provided for as a part of the scholarship.
Applications are due Monday, March 16, 2015 at 5:00pm Eastern; decisions will be announced on April 1, 2015.
- Complimentary ROOTS Week registration and travel accommodations
- Visual Arts Retreat (Pre-Conference Orientation & Planning) travel and accommodations.
For more information, please call the ROOTS Office at 404.577.1079 [ext] 304
Alternate ROOTS is an organization based in the Southern USA whose mission is to support the creation and presentation of original art in all its forms, which is rooted in a particular community of place, tradition or spirit. As a coalition of cultural workers we strive to be allies in the elimination of all forms of oppression. ROOTS is committed to social and economic justice and the protection of the natural world and addresses these concerns through its programs and services.
[formidable id=67 title=true]