ROOTS Weekend-Dallas: Creating Vibrant Communities
October 20-23, 2016 | Dallas, TX
Si desea leer esta página en español, haga clic aquí.
ROOTS Weekend-Dallas – October 20-23, 2016 – is the fourth of six regional gatherings that Alternate ROOTS is convening throughout the South from 2015-2017. We welcome Texans from Houston to El Paso, the Valley to the Panhandle, to join us in Dallas this October!
Through the theme of Creating Vibrant Communities, ROOTS Weekend-Dallas gathers artists and activists from throughout Texas whose work cultivates health, safety, and sustainability in and with their communities. Our focus on Creating Vibrant Communities resists structural oppression and violence – including police brutality, deportation, and gentrification – by lifting up the life-sustaining practices of art making and cultural organizing.
To learn more about ROOTS Weekend-Dallas, click here.
In putting this event together we want to hear from you. What are you working on that you would like to share? Who would you like to hear from? What would you like to see, to talk about? We invite proposals for performances, workshops, visual art exhibitions, local excursions, and more. We also invite your programming ideas — whether you know of a local artist or activist we should reach out to, or a method of community building that we might integrate into the weekend.
If you have ideas or work to share, please fill out the following Proposal Form by Monday, July 11, 2016 at 5pm EST. For questions, contact Wendy Shenefelt, Programs Manager at 404-577-1079 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in this work — we look forward to hearing from you!
Work Sample of Proposed Programming
In order to assist with the curatorial process, we encourage you to submit at least one work sample that is reflective of the proposed programming. If the proposed work has been previously presented, please submit a sample that gives us a sense of it. If it has not, we ask that, when possible, you share previous work that is similar to what you are proposing.
Work Samples: Work samples must be submitted as a Google document or URL.
- Please save the document with your First and Last Name, and a description of the work sample (e.g. Janet Johnson Spoken Word Performance).
- URLs: You can point panelists to your website, YouTube, SoundCloud or other web platforms that contain examples of your work. If submitting a web-based work sample, please paste the URLs as hyperlinks in a Google document.
Length: Please keep these short! Panels have limited time to review applications.
- Written samples should be limited to 3 pages maximum and submitted as a Google document.
- Limit audio and video samples to 5 minutes. A few clips no longer than one minute is even better.
- If your sample is longer, include instructions that point reviewers to the minute and second where you’d like them to begin with notes about what they should pay attention to in particular.
Alternate ROOTS’ Mission Statement
Alternate ROOTS is an organization based in the Southern USA* whose mission is to support the creation and presentation of original art, in all its forms, which is rooted in a particular community of place, tradition, or spirit. As a coalition of cultural workers we strive to be allies in the elimination of all forms of oppression. ROOTS is committed to social and economic justice and the protection of the natural world and addresses these concerns through its programs and services.