ROOTS Weekend: Jacksonville
Friday, March 29 – Sunday, March 31, 2019
ROOTS Weekend is coming to Jacksonville, FL, March 29-31, 2019!
ROOTS Weekend: Jacksonville brings together artists and cultural workers, organizers and activists to engage in deep dialogue, make and witness art, and learn from one another. A condensed version of ROOTS Week, our signature gathering, these three-day convenings get ROOTS out in the field, connecting in our members’ home communities. They bring artists, organizers, and cultural workers together to share ideas and inspiration through performance, visual art, workshops, dialogues, and good conversations had over good food!
ROOTS Weekends deepen our collective understanding of the work of social change by celebrating artists and organizers who are working within communities to develop creative solutions to long-standing issues.
In putting this event together we want to hear from you. What are you working on that you would like to share? We invite proposals for performances, workshops, visual arts exhibitions, local excursions, and more. Preference will be given to those who live in Florida, and the surrounding region: Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. ROOTS will also prioritize proposals from members of First Peoples, Native, and Indigenous communities, trans people of color, and youth (age 30 and under).
If you have ideas, or work to share, please fill out the following Proposal Form by Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 5pm EST. Questions? Contact Wendy Shenefelt, Programs Director, at 404-577-1079, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in this work – we look forward to hearing from you!
Please note: In order to assist with the curatorial process, we encourage you to submit at least one work sample that is reflective of the proposed programming.
Work Samples: Work samples should be submitted as a Google document or URL.
- Please save the document with your First and Last Name, and a description of the work sample (e.g. Janet Johnson Spoken Word Performance).
- URLs: You can link your website, YouTube, SoundCloud, or other web platforms that contain examples of your work. If submitting a web-based work sample, please paste the URLs as hyperlinks in a Google document.
Length: Please keep these short! Think quality over quantity.
- Written samples should be limited to 3 pages maximum and submitted as a Google document.
- Limit audio and video samples to 5 minutes. A few clips no longer than one minute is even better.
- If your sample is longer, include instructions that point reviewers to the minute and second where you’d like them to begin with notes about what they should pay attention to in particular.
New to ROOTS? We suggest that you read our mission statement before applying!