Voting members assume trusteeship for the organization and play a role in governing the organization.
Voting Member Responsibilities
- As the Board of Directors, voting members are fiscally and legally responsible for the organization as defined by law.
- Vote to approve new voting members and elect the Executive Committee as well as approve changes to the by-laws, membership policy, and mission statement.
- Actively participate in the work of the organization through Work Groups, Innovation Ensembles, regional organizing activities, and/or the Annual Business Meeting.
- Pay annual dues of $40/year due on the anniversary of your membership application.
- Maintain a current member profile on the ROOTS website.
Voting members are also encouraged to support and strengthen the ROOTS network by serving as a liaison between ROOTS and compatible organizations, supporting the work of other members, sharing information and resources within the network, recruiting potential new members and listing affiliation with ROOTS in your artist materials.
Voting Member Benefits
- May vote at the Annual Business Meeting and at other times when an organizational decision is required from the voting membership
- Receive regular ROOTS publications, including member-specific information
- May list activities in ROOTS publications
- Receive fee discounts for ROOTS’ programs
- Post a member profile on ROOTS website
- In order to qualify broadly to apply for programs and services of Alternate ROOTS, you must be a current general member or voting member. Per grant and program guidelines, additional requirements may apply. Staff may make exceptions to this practice as needed to serve the mission and the strategic plan.
Voting Member Criteria
- Live in the U.S. South (defined as AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV and Washington D.C.)
- Create or present original work that is of, by, for, or together with a community of place, tradition, or spirit
- Committed to social and economic justice and/or the protection of the natural world
Voting Member Application
Applications for voting membership are accepted at any time. Apply here or contact the ROOTS Membership Team at email@example.com or call 404-577-1079 ext. 302 on Tuesdays and Thursdays 11 am est. until 2 pm est. to speak directly to a Membership Team member. Voting members who leave the region will automatically become general members. In order to maintain membership status, dues must be paid annually on the date of first application.