Wednesday, March 31 2021 | ROOTS Staff
JOB DESCRIPTION AND DUTIES
Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social, and economic justice, and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
The Development Associate is a part-time position that supports the organization’s overall fundraising and development goals. Working directly with the Development Director, the Development Associate will assist with research, data collection, and stakeholder relationship management.
Compensation and Benefits
This employee will work approximately 15-20 hours a week, four (4) of which will be spent working collaboratively with staff members as needed based on organizational activity. Compensation will be $20/hour. Employees also receive a healthcare stipend, vacation time, and professional development resources and opportunities.
The Development Associate is supervised by the Development Director and will work closely with the Operations Manager and Communications team. The Development Associate’s responsibilities include:
Organizational Strategy & Fundraising – 80%
- Work with the Development Director to manage and grow the ROOTS philanthropic family and donor base by prospecting new donors/funders, grant writing, and creating support materials.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Development Director to implement fundraising strategies in line with the organization’s five-year fund development plan.
- Manage accurate and up-to-date funder and donor files, deadlines, and records
- Spearhead the optimization of CRM software integration throughout the organization
- Coordinate accurate and up-to-date development calendar and send notifications as needed to internal staff for deadlines, grant reports, and new grant opportunities
- Prepare and submit grant material to foundations and funders
- Support organization’s grant compliance including communication of funding requirements to appropriate staff; ensuring the timely submission of required statistical and narrative reports; assisting with program reporting when necessary
- Conduct ongoing research related to current and new institutional and individual donors
- Schedule donor/funder meetings as needed
- Attend staff meetings, retreats, and advancement opportunities
- Attend professional development opportunities to gain expertise and connect with others working in this role in the non-profit sector
- Participate in developing a thriving organizational culture and strategy with staff at-large
Cultural Organizing – 10%
- Coordinate regional fundraising strategies; resource and community-building initiatives, giving campaigns, and event
- Manage evaluation and assessment projects in support of understanding our impact and our members’ reach
- Facilitate learning exchanges and sessions aimed at enhancing the organization’s culture of thriving and vibrant financial health
- Attend and participate in ROOTS hosted events including ROOTS Week and ROOTS Weekends
Communications & Institutional Marketing – 10%
- Collaborate with the Communications team to amplify ROOTS and the work of our members in the region
- Coordinate donor communications strategy; composing and sending donor letters and thank you notes to all donors in a timely manner
Please review the Development Associate Job Description and the Alternate ROOTS website.
The application period is now open! Please submit your resume, cover letter, three references, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm CST on April 12, 2021. Please send PDFs only. All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially.
Alternate ROOTS has a 100% remote office and the team collaborates using a series of digital tools. The Development Associate can work remotely anywhere in the Alternate ROOTS region: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, TGNCNBI2-S (Transgender, Non-Conforming, Nonbinary, Intersex, and 2 Spirit) & LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.