Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social, and economic justice, and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
Job Description: The ROOTS Executive Assistant is a part-time position based in New Orleans, LA providing administrative support to the Executive Director and Executive Committee.
- Act as the primary liaison for the Executive Director for email requests, fielding calls, travel coordination and scheduling needs as requested.
- Support Executive Committee meetings and preparation (gathering staff reports, e-mailing material, coordinating logistics and travel, and attendance at regional meetings as needed).
- Book travel as needed for staff, Executive Committee, ROOTS Week presenters, and members.
- Serve as ROOTS Week (ROOTS’ annual artist retreat and annual meeting) registration staff.
- Manage Doodle poll requests from work groups and staff and schedules meetings.
- Coordinate meeting schedules and prepare agenda, memos, documents and notes for work groups including but not limited to the UpROOTing, Sexual Harassment, Strategic Planning, and By-Laws work groups.
- Manage Alternate ROOTS staff Google calendar and conference call lines.
- Manage the ROOTS Zoom accounts, schedule meetings, and update the Zoom Google calendar.
- Assist Operations Associate with Strategic Plan tracking and task management.
- Assist Operations Associate with Google Suite back end.
- Participate in activities as assigned by the organization for professional development.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with GQueues and Google Suite platforms.
- Ability to work from home/remotely.
- Ability to travel to regional meetings and to ROOTS Week.
- Ability to show a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive on the job (transporting people and meeting materials) as needed (company rental vehicle and insurance provided).
- Familiar with the ROOTS network/community of southern artists and activists in the ROOTS region. (The Alternate ROOTS 14-state region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.)
- This position is based in New Orleans, LA.
- Alternate ROOTS has a 100% remote office and the team collaborates using a series of digital tools.
- The position is a maximum of 20 hours a week with 5 hours weekly to be spent working collaboratively with staff members in digital and in-person meetings.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a part-time termed position paid at a rate of $15.00 per hour. ROOTS has secured funding for the position from March 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020, subject to annual grant renewal and pending additional funding.
- This position is not eligible for benefits.
Anticipated Start Date
- March 1, 2020
How to Apply
- Please review the Executive Assistant job description and the Alternate ROOTS website.
- The application period is now open. Please submit your resume and cover letter to Aimee McCoy at email@example.com by February 7, 2020. Please send PDFs only. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications for, and inquiries about this position will be handled confidentially.
- Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.