ROOTS Weekend: Columbia
Friday, October 7-Sunday, October 9
ROOTS Weekend is coming to Columbia, SC, October 7-9, 2022! Tickets are sliding scale, $10-$100 and available now!
ROOTS Weekend: Columbia brings together artists and cultural workers, organizers and activists to engage in deep dialogue, make and witness art, and learn from one another. A condensed version of ROOTS Week, our signature gathering, these three-day convenings gets ROOTS out in the field, connecting in our members’ home communities. They bring artists, organizers, and cultural workers together to share ideas and inspiration through performance, visual art, workshops, dialogues, and good conversations had over good food!
ROOTS Weekends deepen our collective understanding of the work of social change by celebrating artists and organizers who are working within communities to develop creative solutions to long-standing issues.
- For the full schedule – including presenter blurbs and bios – click HERE.
- For the digital program book – featuring info on how we gather – click HERE.
- Look for *HYBRID* for events that are accessible virtually! Register for these three free virtual events HERE.
Friday, October 7
11:00am – 4:30pm: Day Trip to Orangeburg, SC
All events at Orangeburg County Library, except the All Star Bowling Lanes Tour
- 11:30am: All Star Bowling Lanes Tour & Conversation with Ellen Zisholtz + Cleveland Sellers
- 12:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00pm: The Movement Made Us Lecture/Discussion with David Dennis, Sr.
- 2:15pm: *HYBRID*: A Dive Into What Activism Means To Me w/ ROOTS Membership Team – register to join virtually HERE
- 3:15pm: *HYBRID* Food as Resistance Film Screening with Sade L Meeks – register to join virtually HERE
6:30 – 9:00pm: Opening Dinner & Pollinator Panel at Le Cafe Jazz
Saturday, October 8
9:00-am-4:30pm: Sessions at Columbia Museum of Art
- 9:00am: Registration Opens
- 10:00am: Welcome + Grounding
- 10:30am: Workshops + Conversations (Block 1)
- *HYBRID* Tea Time w/ the Heal/Teal Team – register to join virtually HERE
- 12:30pm: Lunch
- 1:30pm: Workshops + Conversations (Block 2)
- 2:45pm: Workshops + Conversations (Block 3)
6:30 – 9:00: Dinner & Poetry Open Mic with Omari Foxx at Le Cafe Jazz
Sunday, October 9
10:00am-1:30pm: Sessions at La Cafe Jazz
- 10:00am: Registration Opens
- 10:30am: Welcome + Grounding
- 10:45am: Welcome to the Foxcomedia– An Artist Talk with Marcus Grant
- 11:30am: Brunch
- 12:30pm: Mini Story Slam with What She Said Project
- 1:00pm: Closing
Please also review our COVID safety protocols which are informed by CDC and local guidelines. Daily rapid testing, masking indoors, and gathering outside whenever possible will be part of our COVID protocols for ROOTS Weekend: Columbia. Our goal is to help us all minimize risks before, during, and after gatherings.
Le Cafe Jazz
930 Laurel Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Columbia Museum of Art
1515 Main Street,
Columbia, SC 29201
Orangeburg County Library
1645 Russell Street
Orangeburg, SC 29115
All Star Bowling Lane
1543 Russell Street
Orangeburg, SC, 29115
TRAVEL AND LODGING
Getting Around Columbia
Ground transportation will NOT be provided throughout the weekend. We encourage folks to use rideshare services, or join the ROOTS Ride & Lodging Share Facebook group and connect with folks who will be attending ROOTS Weekend: Columbia.
Getting to Orangeburg
On Friday morning, we’ll be heading to neighboring Orangeburg for a Day Trip centered on that city’s Civil Rights history. We’re encouraging folks who can, to drive themselves. We will be arranging transportation for those who need it. If you need a ride to Orangeburg from Columbia, please fill out that question on the registration form or contact email@example.com.
Columbia Metropolitan Airport, CAE.
ROOTS Weekend Hotel
ROOTS has a discounted block of rooms at: