Wooden bowls honoring long-time ROOTers at the 40th Anniversary Reunion. Photo: Ariston Jacks
GIVE TO ALTERNATE ROOTS AT THE INTERSECTION OF ARTS & ACTIVISM
You will be supporting Cultural Organizing, Artistic Expression, and Social Justice.
WHO IS ALTERNATE ROOTS
Founded in 1976 at the Highlander Center in New Market, Tennessee, Alternate ROOTS has a foundation in the liberatory legacy of the civil rights movement. Born of the distinct regional needs of artists who work for social justice, and artists who create work by, for, about, and within communities of place, tradition, affiliation, and spirit, Alternate ROOTS has a 42 year old commitment to struggle and liberation. In those 42 years, we have worked as a focused network and service organization providing support to an expanding core of 500+ artists and countless communities in the severely under resourced American South.
A SNAPSHOT OF THE NUMBERS
- Between 2013-2017, Alternate ROOTS has put $423,467 directly into the hands of 655 artists through Artistic Assistance, Partners in Action, and travel stipends.
- 78% of our budget is allocated to our Programs
- We have 640 Voting, General, and Organizational Members
- There are over 4,000 people in our network/mailing list
WHY GIVE TO ROOTS
Today, fear is being used as a weapon to inflict damage on vulnerable communities. As the South has long been a training ground for repressive policies, Alternate ROOTS’ Southern artists, activists, free thinkers, and world changers have been on the frontlines of this struggle as they work to resist fear and create spaces for hope.
Alternate ROOTS artists have answered the call to challenge oppression. Their mobilization and generosity of spirit have inspired and shaped their work. Alternate ROOTS artists engage a long-term liberatory struggle that is rich in its understanding of the intersectional understandings of race, gender, ability, sexual orientation, religion, and class oppression. Even more so today, we call for social and economic justice and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere.
Your gift helps ROOTS’ vanguard artists impact the culture and fabric of our country and beyond as they affect positive change in the communities in which they serve. Your dollars go towards direct support through grants, partnerships, travel stipends, and technical assistance. ROOTS also advocates for Southern artists, communities, and those least represented in the national arts and social justice ecosystem.
HOW TO GIVE
- We accept monetary donations through our donate form below.
- Large gifts can be made by contacting Managing Director, Ashley Walden Davis, at email@example.com, or 404-577-1079 Ext. 304.
- To learn about other ways to give to ROOTS, please see the Giving Program page linked here.