While we may not be sharing space or holding hands for weeks/months, we’re leaning into the strength of our community during this uncertain time. Photo: Melisa Cardona.
March 13, 2020
As the spread of COVID-19 in the US moves from a possibility to a reality, and the World Health Organization names this as a pandemic, we’re gathering what will be a growing list of resources from our members and partners throughout the field. We’ll keep updating this as more resources and information become available.
In this uncertain time, we’re seeking to support members affected by COVID-19, and understand how best to do that. We’ve already heard from many members that they will be experiencing financial loss, whether through canceled gigs or lost service industry work. We’ll be hosting a Community Listening Session, to hold space for ROOTers to connect and share concerns, resources, anxieties, and mutual support. We are a powerful community, and we trust that our collective strength and wisdom will help guide us through this time. Please join us:
__________ROOTS Community Listening Session: Covid 19
__________Monday, March 16 at 6:30pm EST/ 5:30pm CST
__________Join by computer: https://zoom.us/j/418256654
__________Join by phone: 646-876-9923 Meeting ID: 418 256 654
Join by one tap mobile: +16468769923, 418256654#
Resources From Artists & Cultural Organizers:
- Wash Your Hands, Dori Midnight [Poem]
Read for: a grounding in the sacred work of self & community care in a time of spreading illness. “We are humans relearning to wash our hands. / Washing our hands is an act of love / Washing our hands is an act of care / Washing our hands is an act that puts the hypervigilant body at ease”
- COVID-19 Community Care Resources, Another Gulf is Possible [Resource Guide]
Read for: Care tips & immune boosting recipes; a wide, beautiful, justice-minded collection of resources & food for thought from the across the cultural organizing ecosystem.
- COVID-19 Freelance Artists Resources [Resource Guide]
Read for: a wealth of resources specifically for freelance artists, and those interested in
supporting the independent artist community. Includes sources of advocacy, emergency funding, health & mental health resources, temporary/remote job opportunities, and more.
- Demands from Grassroots Organizers Concerning COVID-19, Transformative Spaces [Article/Organizing Platform]
Read for: A social justice perspective on organizing around the needs of those most vulnerable during a pandemic; a list of demands you can use for local organizing, drafted by grassroots organizers in collaboration with doctors, scientists and nurses.
- National Emergency Webinar on COVID-19 and Criminal Legal and Immigrant Detention Systems, Friday, March 13 at 3:30pm EST, The Center for Popular Democracy, Faith in Action, The Justice Collaborative, and the National Council for Incarcerated Women and Girls [Webinar]
Join for: Discussion with expert panelists on best practices and potential policies for mitigating the harm of coronavirus spread on those impacted by criminal legal and immigration systems, particularly incarcerated and detained people.
- National Preparing for Potential Impact of Coronavirus, Arts Ready
Read for: preparing arts facilities, staffs, and audiences/stakeholders for impact of COVID-19, including temporary closures and event cancellations.
- Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, Comcast is offering 2 months free to new Internet Essentials customers in response to recent and anticipated emergency measures associated with the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Click here for more details.
From Media, Government & Nonprofit Sector:
- Get the Facts on Coronavirus, CBC News [Video]
Watch for: a breakdown of what it is, where it came from, how it spreads and what you can do to protect yourself.
- Preparing for Coronavirus, Scientific American [Article]
Read for: basic scientific information about the COVID-19, and commonsense approaches to preparation and prevention. And this perspective: “We should prepare, not because we may feel personally at risk, but so that we can help lessen the risk for everyone.”
- Coronavirus 101: What You Need To Know To Prepare And Prevent, Life Kit Podcast, National Public Radio [Podcast]
Listen for: General information about risks and spread; tips on prevention and preparation.
- Nonprofit Guide to COVID Planning, Georgia Center for Nonprofits, [Article]
Read for: Information for nonprofits focused on employee care, limiting stakeholder risk while engaging in your programs and services; and navigating disruptions that may impact finances and mission delivery.
Read for: basic information about risk, prevention, symptoms, and spread; current updates; what you need to know about keeping homes, workplaces, public gathering spaces safe.