The Communications Manager will design and implement the communications strategy for all internal and external communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral material to consistently articulate and advance the institutional vision and mission of Alternate ROOTS. The Communications Manager will ensure that Alternate ROOTS is viewed as a primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within the field of arts and social justice.
The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director, manages the Communications Team, and works closely with other staff within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Oversee and contribute to the development of communications guidelines and implement a communications plan for the organization as a whole as well as ROOTS’ partnership projects, programs and activities.
- Establish, monitor, and evaluate progress toward communications goals in all program areas.
- Provide technical support for members in using the organizational website.
Database & Archives
- Develop and oversee a coding manual for and manage the organizational database.
- Manage outside services contracted for specific communications responsibilities such as public relations, graphic design, web design, videography and photography, and copywriting/copyediting.
- Develop archives for ROOTS media (photos, video, audio, images, and electronic documents) to be a resource for the organization, its members, and the field of arts and social justice.
- Produce basic graphic designs as needed for blog posts, social media, and email blasts (*ROOTS hires an outside designer for major design projects.)
- Manage and oversee publication of ROOTS’ monthly email newsletter.
- Manage ROOTS’ social media accounts.
- Manage and continually refine ROOTS’ website to maintain a level of excellence and visual consistency across all website pages (proofread, improve navigability, posting and cataloging documents, etc.).
- Establish a roster of writers and contributors for ROOTS’ blog posts and artists, and oversee proofreading, editing of the material.
- Manage the production of special reports and publications.
- Manage and edit the annual Alternate ROOTS Week program book.
- Create an annual editorial calendar for the ROOTS newsletter.
- Participate in strategic and long range planning for the organization
- Contribute to the organizational strategy team
- Supervise and provide support to the Programs Team
- Coordinate with Membership to develop and implement Rhizome activities
- Support the development of a member resource directory
- Superior written and verbal communications
- Ability to edit the work of others, to engage with the work to draw out essential ideas, expressed with clarity and conciseness
- Experience identifying and developing audiences and developing effective outreach campaigns (such as event promotion, advocacy, fundraising, product launch, etc.) with measurably effective results
- Experience with content management systems such as Drupal, WordPress, and CiviCRM
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator and other trade tools
- ROOTS’ diverse range of programming works at the intersection of arts and social justice. The ideal candidate has specific knowledge in at least one of these fields and interest and capacity to quickly learn about those fields in which you may not be as familiar.
- Efficient work style and ability to manage the work of others
- Strong ethical standards
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position. Compensation will be competitive with similar positions in the Metro- Atlanta area. The benefits include health insurance, paid vacation time, and 403(b) retirement plan.
By April 1, 2015
Application Open Period
Alternate ROOTS is currently accepting applications for the Communications Manager position.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on March 6, 2015. Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
You may download a copy of the Job Description by clicking the link below.
At Alternate ROOTS we value the person. We hope to provide a fun and creative atmosphere where both innovation and tradition are valued. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, and disabled candidates to apply.