Click here to view the Development Associate job description
Alternate ROOTS Seeks Candidates for Programs Associate
Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers, based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social and economic justice and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through its programs and services.
The Programs Associate (Part-Time) provides direct support to the Programs Manager in executing the overall management, design, implementation, administration, and evaluation of Alternate ROOTS’ programs. The Associate will support the planning and execution of regional conference meetings, workshops, and re-granting artist funding programs. Workload will include, but is not limited to, community engagement, travel coordination, event planning and logistics support, scheduling meetings and conference calls, taking minutes, filing, and managing program reports. The Program Associate will work in close partnership with a number of projects throughout the ROOTS 14-state region. The Programs Team is responsible for the Artistic Assistance Program, Partners in Action Program, ROOTS Week, ROOTS Weekends, Learning Exchanges, and Rhizome events.
- Travel to project sites throughout the ROOTS 14-state region, and represent the organization at convenings and specified meetings across the country
- Coordinate logistics for learning exchanges, workshops, presentations, and professional development exchanges within the ROOTS region
- Support the panel and selection processes for Artistic Assistance and Partners in Action, including site visits
- Serve as event support for ROOTS Week and ROOTS Weekends
- Support curation of ROOTS programming with staff and members
- Coordinate with membership to process Rhizome activities requests
- Person hired will be expected to attend ROOTS Week in Arden, NC August 6-12, 2018 and ROOTS Weekend Jackson, MS November 7-11, 2018.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The knowledge, skills, and abilities of the Programs Associate include:
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Experience and/or knowledge in community organizing and ability to work across diverse cultures
- Ability to make clear assessments of projects
- Good writing and documentation skills
- Event planning
- Experience with Content Management Software
- Experience developing and managing project budgets
- Flexibility to function well in a team structure, work independently, and be self-motivated
- Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Suite, especially Word and Excel
- Ability to work from home/remotely
- Ability to travel 30% of the time
- Ability to show a valid driver’s license if hired (company rental vehicle and insurance provided)
Alternate ROOTS has a remote office and collaborates using a series of digital tools. The Programs Associate can work remotely anywhere in the Alternate ROOTS region.* There are ROOTS staff members in Atlanta, GA, New Orleans, LA, Houston, TX, and Jackson, MS.
The position is a non-exempt position that will work between 20-30 hours a week with 8 hours weekly dedicated to remote collaboration through online platforms with team members as needed based on program activity.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a termed hourly employee position paid at a rate of $18.25. ROOTS has secured funding for the position from May 15, 2018 to June 1, 2019, and may be subject to renewal pending additional funding.
Desired Start Date
May 14-June 1, 2018
How to Apply
Please review the Programs Associate Job Description and the Alternate ROOTS website.
The application period is now open. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com by April 30, 2018. Please send PDFs only. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially.
*The Alternate ROOTS 14-state region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.