YOOTS at ROOTS Week 2015. Photo by Melisa Cardona.
February 21, 2022 | ROOTS Staff
Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social, and economic justice, and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
The YOOTS Organizer is a hourly contracted position that works closely with members of Cultural Organizing Team to grow our YOOTS (Youth at ROOTS) membership and engagement at Alternate ROOTS by developing and executing programming and opportunities that specifically address the YOOTS Demands presented in 2018 and the Alternate ROOTS Strategic Plan.
We are looking to hire two youth organizers and highly encourage people under the age of 30 currently living and working in our 14 state region to apply. The two YOOTS Organizers will work closely together, alongside members of the Cultural Organizing Team, to create unique growth and showcasing opportunities for young and emerging artists under the age of 30 and to ensure a strong YOOTS presence at our planned 2022 events and beyond.
- Establishing/deepening connections with current and future YOOTS members, organizations, and partners
- Shaping and executing YOOTS Membership Drive which can include:
- Co-creating YOOTS specific virtual events and/or other membership 101 opportunities
- Shaping and participating in outreach strategies
- Support developing and executing YOOTS specific programming, funding and mentoring opportunities
- Co-Curating and facilitating YOOTS spaces at ROOTS Week and ROOTS Weekend in 2022
- Attending regular meetings with members of Cultural Organizing Team
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and documentation skills
- Comfort speaking in public and seeding relationships/connections
- Experience with organizing and/or program management, especially with youth, emerging artists and/or arts organizations
- Have a strong work ethic; be collaborative, conscientious and detail-oriented
- Self-driven, ability to self-motivate, and requiring little supervision
- Ability to multi-task across various tasks, projects, and initiatives
- Experience with Google Suite, and Microsoft Suite, especially Word and Excel.
- Ability to work from home/remotely
- Familiarity with the ROOTS and/or other networks/communities of southern artists and activists in the ROOTS region
- Alternate ROOTS has a 100% remote office and the team collaborates using a series of digital tools. Ideal candidates live in the Alternate ROOTS 14-state region, which includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Hours and Compensation
- The position is a maximum of 40 hours per month, with up to 5 hours weekly to be spent working collaboratively with staff members in digital and in-person meetings, and is contracted at a rate of $20/hour.
Anticipated Start Date
- Beginning – Mid April 2022. This position runs through January 2023, with the possibility to renew the contract in 2023.
How to Apply
- Please review the YOOTS Organizers position description, YOOTS Demands, and the Alternate ROOTS website.
- The application period is now open. Please submit your application through our website HERE including your cover letter, resume, and professional references by Tuesday, March 21, 2022.
- Please submit a full and complete application for consideration. Attach PDFs only.
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
All applications for and inquiries about this position will be handled confidentially.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.