Photo credit: Roots Weekend – Mel Cardona.
In This Issue:
- ROOTS Week Registration Now Open
- Rebrand/Redesign Narrative Strategy Session #1: Who Am I / Who are We? Thursday June 22, 6pm-7:30pm ET
- Get Involved, Get Connected
ROOTS Week Registration Open!
ROOTS Week Artists Retreat & Annual Meeting
Tuesday, August 8-Sunday, August 13
Lutheridge Conference Center, Arden, NC
ROOTS Week 2023 marks our return to the beloved weeklong retreat at Lutheridge Conference Center in Arden, NC after a 4-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We come together in August to make community and make space for all that we bring as justice-loving cultural workers.
This ROOTS Week will be like no other, with the fabric of the previous years interwoven into what will serve us in the present day.
At ROOTS Week 2023 we will connect deeply again – together in unison as we have done for close to 50 years; we will be together.
Registration is now open.
- Click HERE to register WITH on-campus lodging. (You WILL stay at Lutheridge.)
- Click HERE to register WITHOUT lodging. (You WON’T stay at Lutheridge.)
Would you like to share your art, lead a workshop, or convene a conversation at ROOTS Week 2023?
Register for ROOTS Week at either link above, and you will be provided with a link to a submission form! Deadline for submission is June 14, 2023.
ROOTSWeek Registration Giveaway!
We are offering three free passes for ROOTers who want to attend ROOTS Week 2023!
Here is how you can win a FREE Pass:
- Create a two-minute video on your Instagram and tag Alternate ROOTS (www.instagram.com/alternateroots) telling folks why you need to be at ROOTS Weekend 2023 by Friday, June 16.
- Not on Instagram? Call and leave us a voicemail answering the same prompt: 404-577-1079, ext. 303. Also by Friday June 16.
- Alternate ROOTS will enter all submissions into a drawing and three ROOTers who enter will be picked to receive a free ticket to this year’s gathering.
- Recipients will be announced on Alternate ROOTS Instagram, as well as contacted directly.
IMPORTANT: All applicants for Giveaway Passes must register for ROOTS Week now. If applicants are chosen the registration fee will be reimbursed.
Rebrand/Redesign Narrative Strategy Session #1: Who Am I / Who are We?
June 22, 6-7:30pm ET
How can we use our imagination and storytelling to disrupt old norms? How can we imagine new normals in which cultural, economic, and political systems are designed to engender greater levels of trust, justice, inclusion, equity, beauty, and balance with the earth?
ROOTers: join SoulCenter and other members on June 22nd for a narrative design session focused on the core narratives of ROOTS. We will be creating speculative futures of the US South, imagining ROOTS members in 2023, and adding narrative to our findings. If you love ROOTS, writing, world building, and imagining new worlds, this session is for you.
Register HERE for a lively, participatory workshop on Thursday, June 22 from 6-7:30 Eastern.
Get Involved, Get Connected
New Member Orientation: Thursday, June 15
The Membership Team and the ROOTS Membership Work Group have launched a quarterly New Member Orientation process!
This meeting is an introduction to the organization, our members, our history, and our purpose in a personal, impactful, and engaging way.
New members are highly encouraged to attend!
Thursday, June 15
6:30 pm ET / 5:30 pm CT
Click here to register.
A Rhizome Invitation to ATL Area ROOTERS
Calling all Atlanta Area ROOTers! There are TWO more opportunities for Atlanta-area ROOTers (and their friends) to gather in person this Spring/Summer. We hope to meet each other again (or for the first time) to reconnect prior to ROOTS Week – we want to get a jump on making personal contact, sharing our stories and talking about ROOTS and its values. Plan to attend one (or all!) of these free gatherings:
- Saturday, June 24, 11am-1pm at the ArtsXchange: 2148 Newnan St, East Point 30344, hosted by Marquetta Dupree and Kathie deNobriga
- Wednesday, July 12, 7:30pm at No Tomorrow in Underground Atlanta: 50 Upper Alabama St. 30303, hosted by Priscilla Smith
Food will be served (of course), and if you’re on the ATL list, you’ll get a little agenda in advance. We’d love to see ya!
Join the ROOTS Week Work Group
ROOTS Week 2023 is just around the corner, and we need members’ help to organize this signature event. This Work Group works with staff to plan and execute ROOTS Week, meeting as needed throughout the year, with more frequent meetings held in the months leading up to ROOTS Week. If this is something you might be interested in email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Committee (ExComm) Meetings
All members are invited to attend ExComm Meetings, which are held on the first Wednesday of the month from 5-6:30 pm ET / 4-5:30 CT. Join the Zoom meeting HERE –
Meeting ID: 864 1837 8179 / Passcode: 242235.
Next meeting dates are:
- Wednesday, June 6, 5-6:30pm ET / 4-5:30pm CT
- Wednesday, July 5, 5-6:30pm ET / 4-5:30pm CT
All approved ExComm minute meetings are available HERE. Recently added:
Please read the minutes to stay current with the work of the ExComm and staff. If you have any issues accessing ExComm documents, email@example.com can help you.