Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social, and economic justice, and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
We are seeking an Accountant who will be responsible for managing the financial activities of Alternate ROOTS, including financial analysis and planning, accounting operations and reporting, budgeting and external audits. The Accountant will work on the Operations Team and will report to the Director of Operations.
- Recording all expenses, donations, transactions and other financial data in Quickbooks Online
- Processing payments via Alternate ROOTS payment systems
- Making bank deposits and identifying and recording electronic deposits
- Allocating expenses by program
- Preparing budgets and other financial statements for grant reporting
- Working with the Director of Operations and staff members to create and manage annual budgets
- Serving as the contact person for Just Works, ROOTS professional employment organization
- Monitoring organizational cash flow
- Ensuring that Alternate ROOTS meets all its statutory and compliance obligations, including statutory accounting issues
- Preparing for and managing Alternate ROOTS’ annual audit
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports
- Working with and presenting Alternate ROOTS financial statements at Finance Work Group meetings
- Preparing reports and managing accounting for Alternate ROOTS’ Fiscal Sponsorship program
- Participating in strategic and long-range planning for the organization
- Attending weekly staff meetings (Wednesdays from 12:00-2:00pm EST)
- Attending ROOTS Week – Annual Meeting and Artist Retreat in Asheville, NC
- Attending quarterly in-person staff advancement sessions (typically 2 days each)
Candidates for the Accountant position should:
- Be able to work independently without heavy supervision and be self-motivated
- Possess the ability to work remotely/from home
- Have a strong work ethic; be collaborative, conscientious and detail-oriented
- Be honest, trustworthy, exhibit sound judgment, and abide by strict confidentiality guidelines
- Be flexible to function well in a team structure
Basic Skills Required:
- At least 3 years of accounting experience, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Proficiency in Quickbooks Online
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Good documentation skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience in Google Suite, with emphasis on Google calendar, docs, sheets and GQueues
- ROOTS member, ROOTS adjacent, prior ROOTS affiliation
- Experience with Salesforce
Alternate ROOTS operates in a remote environment and collaborates using a host of digital tools. This is a work from home position.
Accountant is an exempt, full time position that will work 40 hours a week, with 5 of those hours dedicated to remote collaboration through online platforms with team members.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary for the Accountant position is negotiable based on experience, with a general range of $45,000-55,000 annually. Alternate ROOTS officers a full and robust benefits package including:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous personal time off policies, including vacation, sick and holidays
- Flexible scheduling and the ability to work from home
- Retirement plan with an employer contribution
- Monthly office stipend to cover remote working expenses
- Support for personal professional development
Start Date: Fall 2021
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Paige Heurtin, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accountant Job Search”.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Accountant Job Search/Question”. All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.