January 21, 2022 | ROOTS Staff
Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition, or spirit. We are a group of artists, and cultural organizers based in the U.S. South, creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social, and economic justice, and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere. ROOTS is committed to social, and economic justice, and the protection of the natural world, and addresses these concerns through our programs and services.
The Membership Services Associate is a full-time position that will support the Director of Membership by overseeing the administration, implementation, and detailed logistics for Alternate ROOTS membership services department processes. The Associate will operate as the main liaison for members by providing hands-on customer service, management of our Customer Relationship Management programs (CRM), and management of other technologies. This role will also assist the Director to coordinate and manage field engagement opportunities and will support activities and initiatives that bolster the staff with strategic plan process management, Fiscal Sponsorship Program, and membership emergency relief efforts.
- Work with the Director of Membership to support all ROOTS members operationally (membership service includes but is not limited to support with orientation, maintenance, retention, and recruitment.)
- Connect members regionally & inter-regionally, highlight members and their work, and integrate members into the strategic plan of the organization.
- Travel throughout the ROOTS 14 state region with the Director of Membership to connect and build relationships with the ROOTS members continuing to refine ROOTS Membership.
- Prepare agendas, memos, documents, and notes for meetings as well as update the ROOTS staff Google calendar with key Membership activities and related dates.
- Event and travel coordination and logistics support scheduling meetings and conference calls, taking minutes, filing, and managing team reports.
- Coordinate logistics for Membership team needs (contractors, artists, presentations, workshops, and professional development opportunities within the ROOTS region.
- Support Finance Team in preparation and submission of reports associated with Membership activities and events.
- Manage member services at all ROOTS programs including ROOTS Week, ROOTS Weekends, and other registered events.
- Co-managed the design, panel, and selection processes of the Member Emergency Relief programming with the Director of Membership.
- Co-manage the staff strategic plan implementation and tracking process.
- Work with the Cultural Organizing and Strategic partnership team to help integrate members into other ROOTS programming and opportunities.
- Participate in activities as assigned by the organization for professional development.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Attend weekly staff meeting (Wednesday from 12-2 pm EST)
- Attend ROOTS Week – Annual Meeting and Artist Retreat in Asheville, NC & ROOTS Weekends
- Attend quarterly in-person staff advancement sessions (typically 2 days each)
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and documentation skills;
- Comfortable speaking in public
- Have a strong work ethic; be collaborative, conscientious and detail-oriented
- Easily identifies challenges and potential obstacles; Solution-based collaborator
- Self-driven, ability to self-motivate, and requiring little supervision
- Ability to multi-task across various tasks, projects, and initiatives.
- Adaptability to work both within ROOTS internal culture and externally with the broader national arts and social justice sectors
- Ability to travel heavily (50%) throughout the ROOTS Region regularly as well as to regional meetings and to ROOTSWeek our annual meeting and ROOTSWeekends out small convenings.
- Experience with Salesforce, Google Suite, and Microsoft Suite, especially Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with Slack, GQueues, and Google Suite platforms.
- Ability to work from home/remotely.
- Ability to show a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive on the job (transporting people and meeting materials) as needed (company rental vehicle and insurance provided).
- Familiar with the ROOTS network/community of southern artists and activists in the ROOTS region. (The Alternate ROOTS 14-state region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.)
- If/when travel conditions are safely permitted, this position typically needs:
- 50% travel throughout the ROOTS service region (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia)
- Alternate ROOTS has a 100% remote office and the team collaborates using a series of digital tools.
- The position is a maximum of 40 hours a week with 5 hours weekly to be spent working collaboratively with staff members in digital and in-person meetings.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for the Membership Services Associate is negotiable based on experience, with a range of $40,000-45,000 annually. Alternate ROOTS officers a full and robust benefits package including:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous personal time off policies, including vacation, sick and holidays
- Flexible scheduling and the ability to work from home
- Retirement plan with an employer contribution
- Monthly office stipend to cover remote working expenses
- Support for personal professional development
Anticipated Start Date
- Beginning – Mid March 2022
How to Apply
- Please review the Members Services Associate position description and the Alternate ROOTS website.
- The application period is now open. Please submit your application through our website HERE including your cover letter, resume, and professional references by Friday, February 11, 2022. **Please submit a full and complete application for consideration. Attach PDFs only. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications for and inquiries about this position will be handled confidentially.
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.