ROOTS exists throughout the entire southern region in the form of our members.
When our members come together to share their art and organizing, learn about others’ work, and build strong local networks, ROOTS calls these gatherings Rhizome Events.
Rhizomes are vital to the long-term sustainability of Alternate ROOTS – they grow and nurture our coalition of artists and cultural workers around the region.
A rhizome can take many shapes: a small discussion, a dinner or potluck, a workshop – whatever you want. With your help, we’ll host several of these events over the coming year. Don’t worry, it’s easy! We’ve put together a guide to help plan your Rhizome:
- Select a date, time, and location for your event. Once you have decided that, fill out the Host a Rhizome form at least 30 days before your event. ROOTS will post your event to our Facebook page, online calendar, and include it in our Member News.
- If you are having technical difficulty filling out the Host a Rhizome form, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send out invitations. These can be emails, e-vites, or good old fashioned paper invitations. It also helps to reach out to some people directly by phone. The ROOTS office can provide you with a list of members in your area.
- Share reading material about Alternate ROOTS as an opportunity for your invitees to get up to speed on the organization before the event.
- Share some food and drink.
- Make sure you have a sign-in sheet to record the contact information of the attendees (that includes First & Last names and emails).
- Share information about Alternate ROOTS as another opportunity for your invitees to hear about the Alternate ROOTS organization at the event.
- Introductions. Take some time to make sure everyone has an opportunity to participate in introductions.
- Engage in dialogue.
- Take photos, video, and notes (if applicable).
- Make it fun! (We’re sure you will. ROOTers are great at throwing a party.)
- Post your pictures on Facebook, Instagram, etc. using the hashtag: #ROOTSrhizome
- E-mail contact sheets collected to email@example.com or mail them to the ROOTS office, 1270 Caroline Street, Suite D120-353, Atlanta GA 30307 to Attention: Membership.
- If you want to upload a photo album for public use to ROOTS’ Flickr, follow our protocol for submitting photos and video to the archives. Click here to learn more.
- Please complete the above items with in 30 days of the event. Your eligibility for future Rhizome events may be impacted if you do not provide the above items.
Rhizome Request Form